Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas are
co-educational residential schools primarily for the children from rural
areas which aim at :
- To provide good quality modern education
including a strong component of culture, inculcation of values, awareness
of the environment, adventure and physical education to the talented
children from the rural areas. Students in the Navodaya Vidyalayas are
admitted in Class-VI and provided education upto Class-XII. Now provision
is made for lateral entry of students in Class-IX & XI also.
- To ensure that all students of Navodaya
Vidyalayas attain a reasonable level of competency in three languages as
envisaged in Three Language Formula.
- To serve in each district as focal point
for improvement in the quality of school education through sharing of
experience and facilities.
- We envisage identification and development
of talented bright and gifted children predominantly from rural areas who
are denied good educational opportunities.
- Objectives of quality education are sought
to be fulfilled through effective academic, co-curricular and adventure
activities, physical education, reasonable level of competency in three
- We aim at the respective districts as
focal points for improving quality of education through sharing of
experience and facilities with continuous interaction with local community
and helping these institutions to develop as centres of academic
- Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti is a registered
Society under Registration of Societies Act, 1860. The Society is an
autonomous body under the Department of School Education & Literacy,
Ministry of Human Resouce Development, Govt. of India, Hon’ble Minister of
Human Resource Development is the Chairman and Hon’ble Minister of State
of Human Resource Development (Education) is the Vice-Chairman of the
Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti.
- JNVs are functioning at the district level
through the Vidyalaya Management Committee under the Chairmanship of
District Collector, in all the participating States & Union Territories of
WHAT WE DO
- Navodaya Vidyalayas are affiliated to
Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
- We provide free education including
boarding and lodging as well as expenses on Uniform, Text Books,
Stationery etc. However, a nominal fee @ Rs. 200/- per month is charged
from students of Class-IX to XII as Navodaya Vikas Nidhi. The students
belonging to SC, ST categories, girls, disabled and children of the
families below poverty line are exempted from the payment of fee.
- Reservation of seats-Rural at least 75%,
Urban Utmost 25%.
- Provision of reservation of seats for
girls - 33%.
- Establish and run fully residential
co-educational schools from Class-VI to XII.
- Extend medical and health facilities to
all the students free of cost.
- Organise Parent Teacher Council and
conduct their periodical meetings.
- Provide admission in Class-VI only through
objective type test designed and conducted by CBSE in the concerned
district. Provision is also made for lateral entry of students of Class-IX
& XI level.
- 30% of students in Class-IX from a
Vidyalaya located in one linguistic area spend one academic year in a
Vidyalaya of a different linguistic region to promote national integration
through understanding of the diversity and plurality of country’s cultures
- Organise Computer Literacy and Computer
Aided Education Programmes.
- Organise National Integration Meet for its
students in order to create a climate for better understanding and
communication in the Navodaya fraternity.
WE AIM AT
- Providing quality education to the
- Developing harmonious growth of the
personality of the children through variety of co-curricular activities.
- Creating the environment to bring out the
best among the teachers and students.
- Adopt modern education techniques -
external and internal accountability, effective leadership, linkages with
the local community.
- Art in Education programmes to provide
opportunities for students to inculcate nationalistic values through
sharing and learning traditional skills and art with the help of renowned
- Built-in-mechanism of self-reliance,
self-evaluation, character, rigour and discipline in academic pursuit.
Freedom of experimentation and innovation.
- Admission in Navodaya Vidyalayas are made
at the level of Class-VI through a test
conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on all India basis.
However, provision is also made for lateral entry of students in Class-IX &
- The medium of the test is in 20 Indian
languages. It is non-verbal and objective in nature and is so designed
that talented children from rural areas are able to compete without
suffering from any disadvantage.
- All the children who have studied and
passed Class-V from any Govt. School/Govt.
recognised School of that district and are between 9 and 13 years of age are eligible to appear in
entrance test for Class-VI.
- We envisage establishment of a Navodaya
Vidyalaya in each district of the country.
- Started with 2 experimental schools in
1985-86. They have now grown up to 551 JNVs as on (March, 2006) covering
as many districts in 34 States/UTs with over 1.80 lakh students on rolls.
- The Samiti has its Headquarters at New
Delhi and eight Regional Offices located at Bhopal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad,
Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Pune and Shillong for the administration of
Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas under their jurisdiction.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
- Annual Report of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti
and its publications.
- Copies of Scheme and Memorandum of
- Website of NVS : www.navodaya.nic.in
- Publicity of Scheme through TV, Radio,
Newspapers, Information brochures, posters etc.
Director of Grievances, NVS Hqrs. can be
approached for redressal of grievances which are not settled at Vidyalaya
and Regional office level.
Director, Public Grievances
Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti
Kailash Colony, New Delhi-110048
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
EXPECTATIONS FROM OUR CLIENTS
- Providing assistance to good quality
education from Class-VI to XII in the Navodaya Vidyalayas in all the
- Providing suitable land free of cost for
establishment of Navodaya Vidyalayas.
- Sufficient temporary accommodation free of
rent for running the Navodaya Vidyalaya for a period of 3-4 years.
- Providing basic civic amenities like
electricity, water, transport and communication etc. at the site.
- Support and co-operation in education